Coke Making Technologies
Our focus in coking plant engineering is on the treatment of coke oven gas in by-product plants. The most important techniques in this respect are:
- Gas cooling - cooling of the hot process gas
- Gas scrubbing - sequential cleaning of process gas (removal of ammonia, sulphide, hydrogen Cyanide, BTX and naphthalene)
- Tar extraction - separation of tar from the process gas (& from the condensates incurred during gas cooling)
- Product recovery - Regeneration of the scrubbing agents applied with subsequent generation of products (such as sulphur from Claus plants, sulphuric acid, ammonium sulphate, ammonia, BTX, naphthalene and tar)
- Wastewater treatment
The same technologies can also be applied in the cleaning of other process gases, for example, the purification of natural gas, refining, carbide production or the cleaning of process gases in the chemicals and specialty chemicals industry.
Our engineering teams support our customers at all levels of planning, from the feasibility study stage to the realisation of new facilities, as well as the restoration and maintenance of plants in operation. DMT provides professional solutions from a single source:
- Refurbishment concepts and studies
- Process optimisation and bottleneck analyses
- Process engineering
- Project management
- Basic and detail engineering
- Supply of systems or core components
- Installation and commissioning
- Training of operating personnel
Coke Making Services
We conduct testing and carry out forecasting with the aim of optimising the coal blends used in coking plants. Based on international standards we determine not only coking coal properties but also the resulting coke quality, assisting coking plant operators with the ongoing monitoring of the products they utilise and produce themselves.
Optimising Coal Blends
The optimisation and quality monitoring of coal blends are important elements in guaranteeing the safe and economical operation of the coking plant. We utilise10-kg retorts as well as semi-industrial furnaces for coal testing and rely on a coal databank based on our 60-year experience encompassing over 10,000 coal tests to ascertain the safest and most efficient blend available to the customer.
Furthermore we are able to produce typical coking coal mixes using coals originating from all over the world, allowing coal merchants to examine and evaluate their product and thus support them in marketing their coal.
Our coke quality testing is carried out in accordance with international standards. In addition to determining the CRI and CSR values according to ISO or ASTM standards, we are fully equipped to offer all worldwide standardised tests for ascertaining the strength and the abrasion of coke (ISO, ASTM and JIS). In this way we support coke plants in their permanent quality monitoring of the coal they use and the coke they produce, and support smelting works above all in the quality control of the coke they buy.
Characterisation of Coal
In addition to general coal analyses and microscopic examinations, we offer fully comprehensive evaluations of the coking qualities of coal. Our services include:
- Free Swelling Index
- Gieseler Fluidity
- Roga Index
- Sapozhnikov Plastometer
- Oxidation state according to ASTM D 5263
DMT's coke quality calculation programme enables you to ascertain both the CRI and CSR values as well as the strength values M40, M10, I40, I10, JIS150/15 and the ASTM stability factor. The coal databank and our advanced calculation model are also the foundation for initial steps towards optimisation of the coal blends, of course with the option of then evaluating the optimised blends in further coking tests.